Monday, December 11, 2023

September Stone on the Shelf

 September Stone on the Shelf

I just don't know what it is with me and titles. Most writers want a catchy title to pique readers' interests. You know- just a hint at the content, and maybe a teaser that there is going to be something titillating somewhere in the story. I just throw up whatever stupid thing pops into my head, and in this case, give away the whole plot before the first sentence is even written. So try to guess what this post is going to be about. 
Anyway, here it is.

Here's how it started:





...and how it ended up:











I've been working on the finishing for the last few days. Today was a long, long session. I'm pleased with the effort, even though I know I'll look at it tomorrow morning, and find a bunch of little things that need to be touched up. 

 I left a lot of the natural shape of the top part of the stone as it was, and went with a hand-drawn, slightly funky presentation, rather than work everything into a 'machine perfect' arc and spiral.  I have a feeling that this one may sell. I hope to get one more sculpture done before the Santa Fe Springs show this spring. But the next one has to be a big, significant effort. I've had my eye on the big stone that has been sitting weathering away in the pile for over a year now. It's a big chunky rough cube of milky translucence. I have only a vague idea of what I want to do with it, but a lot of good things start out with a sort of vague idea. Only problem is that I can't lift the damn thing. I'll think up somethin'...







 

6 comments:

  1. My goodness, JWM, that is gorgeous!! It would be more surprising if it doesn't sell. Beautifully done, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. Yeah, I'm pleased with the work.

      Delete
  2. Even in the raw state that was a special-looking rock! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan! Nice to hear from you. Hope things are going well for you!

      John M

      Delete