Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Piedmont


 Ford Motor company once had the futuristic exhibition hall called the Ford Rotunda, which at one time was one of the biggest tourist attractions in the mid-west. I’ve mentioned before that my grandfather was an engineer for FOMOCO. This was his desk plate: a never-built all aluminum concept car called the Ford Piedmont. The rendering is mounted in a piece of windshield glass, so it was hard to photograph. In 1991 I visited the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, and talked my way into the archive room, hoping I’d find some record of it. I got to spend a couple of hours looking at renderings of all the concept cars they had on file. What a treat that was. The piedmont was nowhere to be found. This is the only existing picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment