Monday, February 21, 2022

inbetweens

 Inbetweens

I've had good feedback on the stone. I sent a couple of pics to the folks at Art City where I bought the alabaster last September. They posted the photos on their Instagram page, and over fifty people have clicked a "like" on the pics I must be doing something right.

I'm already getting antsy to start work again.  I have plans for the first three (going left to right) of the four remaining pieces of Anza Borrego stone.

I'm still kicking ideas around for the big white rock (#3). Odd how we make up little rules for ourselves that can be harder to break than the rules imposed by some outside authority. 

"This is forbidden. That is banned."

 "Fuck you, I'm doin' it anyway."

But somehow a little rule popped into in my head, and told me I have to start the white stone, (second from the left) next. I really kind of want to start the black stone in the middle. But the rule in my head says, "No. First the white, then the black, then the long stone at the far left, and finally the big white one."

But whether I obey my own rules or not, I'm stuck between projects. Next Saturday is the memorial for Mary's brother, and we're hosting the reception. Big group coming. Lots of work to do this week. No joy in any of it. This is a U.T.O.L. a universal task of life. We meet these obligations with prayer and whatever grace we can bring to the occasion.

Then it's back to work.


 

1 comment:

  1. Funny, my kids sometimes used to squabble when they were playing and quite often, it was over a rule that one of them had decided internally without ever telling the other (or probably even consciously thinking about). Then I would ask, "did you agree on this?" "well, no, but that's how it's supposed to be..."

    That was usually around the point where I'd have to separate them for a while, because there was never any talking them out of it once those internal rules had set in.

    ReplyDelete