Monday, February 14, 2022

Almost there (almost)

 Almost there (almost)

Another very brief post this week. Got way too much stuff going on here at the suburban hermitage. Last week  I mentioned that the project was close enough to completion that I could see just what the finished piece was going to look like. In fact, I wrote that down Monday morning. It took until Tuesday to find out I was mistaken. I was shaping in the lens that separates the two halves of the snout like bowl in the front of the piece, and noticed a pinpoint of light along the edge.


 

 I took it too thin. That meant an instant change of plans. One nice thing about inventing a shape, is that there is room to compensate for mistakes. The artist can always invoke the Pee Wee Herman clause: "Yeah, well, I meant to do that." Not so, with a figurative piece. If the stone cracks, and the nose falls off of a bust, you're screwed. 

But I'm being melodramatic. Yeah, I unexpectedly cut all the way through the thin section of stone. But it was a thin section that was going to be cut away anyhow.

Sun. 2/13/22 

I  started finishing on Friday. Like everything else in this project, it's hard. As in difficult. Because the stone is very hard. And very soft. And there is a whole  mess of tight, awkward corners, and spaces I can barely reach with a fingertip. This is fun, right? Deadline for submissions for the Brea show is Friday, the 18th. I won't have the project finished by then. There's just too much stuff going on this week. But I should be able to sneak a photo for  the submission. If the polishing isn't completely done, I can fake it with some olive oil just to get the picture. Of course, that'll be a mess to clean up.

I'll get a photo or two taken when the sun comes up.

Next week we'll have the finished piece. Good. My fingers need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment