Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Catching Up With Stuff

 Catching Up With Stuff


 

Now how's that for a catchy title? No doubt it foreshadows all kinds of action and suspense. But sorry, no chase scene, no near death experience, no sudden fame or fortune. No disasters either, except for a toothache. That's bad enough.  It's Monday night, the 31st. Halloween. Mary is in the living room handing out candy to the Trick or Treaters. She tossed both cats and me back here, and closed the hallway door, so the cats wouldn't run out  when she opened the front door to hand out candy. Buddy the Cat is sitting under the monitor, and I have to pick up his tail, and hind leg to use the keyboard. It's awkward. 


Tue. Early am:

 Sunday I brought my stones, and the graphic home from the Art Gallery. It was quite an honor to be picked for the show, and I got a lot of good feedback on my work. It's hard to see our own work objectively, because we're too close to it to get any perspective. Seeing all my stuff on display in a real gallery setting was refreshing. Now I'm eager to get back to work. And I will. As soon as I get this toothache taken care of. Which will happen some six hours from now, as I sit here. I'm counting. 

Sunday afternoon we had our friends over for a small party and BBQ.  The party was pretty tame. I didn't get buzzed, and nobody drank too much, barfed in the street, or anything. Show's over, back on your head, and all that. 

I got back to work on the pearlstone project, and made decent progress. I'll have pictures down below in just a bit. I got an email "Call For Artists" from a gallery not far from here. I got one from them last year, and it ended up costing me sixty bucks in entry fees. I emailed back, and said, "Don't bother me again."

I waited to post these pics. I'll make no comment.

Rejected.


Won a prize.


Rejected


Won a prize.


Rejected.


Won a prize. 



And so it goes. 'Tis a fickle business, this art stuff.
Anyway, Here's where we are with the new project.

 I had enough clearance around the torpedo that I could begin shaping it. 

 


It's slow work, as always. Every stroke on one side needs to be matched with one on the other. Ultimately I want a dull point on either end.






I'll get there...


JWM

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tis the nature of art...eh? One man's art is another man's "are you effing kidding me?!?"...or at least a WTF. Nice progress on the project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented on the "rejected/won a prize" photos. You might have mistaken the sound for a loud boom of thunder from the east. Or it might have been "Bullshit!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Clown World, where beauty is intolerable and ugliness celebrated. Maybe you dodged a bullet with that show, kind of like when the psycho chick shows her true colors right before you were going to ask her on a date.

    The new sculpture is coming along beautifully!

    I hope your toothache is better very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Will M - I can relate to the rejection. Every time I enter a story telling contest here, I always lose to a lesbian coming out story, no matter how poorly it’s delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe buy a wig? Or better yet, a furry head mask. "I've always identified as Alvin the chipmunk..."

      John M

      Delete
  6. Wait till someone glues their face to it then throws soup on it. Then you know it's art...

    ReplyDelete