Monday, November 15, 2021

Seeing into the stone

Seeing into the Stone 


At some point in an art project, the artist should have a clear idea of what the finished product should look like. Of course if the artist is doing a likeness of a person for a statue or a portrait, he knows before he sets out. Too, a representational work has a very clear criterion for evaluation: Does the portrayal, at the very least, resemble the subject?

An abstract work is free from the constraint of having to resemble any particular subject matter. An artist can begin such a work without a hundred percent clear idea of how the finished piece will look. Even so, all the rules still apply. Balance, symmetry, grace, proportion, all have to work together, and add up to beauty. The finished work should be pleasing to the eye.

It's Monday night as I'm sitting here typing out these thoughts. I'm pleased with the progress on the stone, but I'm also stalled. Here's where I drag out my over used comment about climbing a rock. Yeah, I'm stuck on a damn ledge, or something. It's the whole ridgeline arcing down the front, and into the bulbous nose end of the piece. This is going to be the most prominent feature on the carving, and I'm going round in circles trying to sort it out. I don't know how many times I've thought, "Yeah, GOT IT!", and then said, "No, not quite."

Well, I got it.

It's Friday night. I've decided how to shape the bulbous piece, the "nose" at the low point of the wedge. I made some good progress excavating the hollows. The point chisels really speed the work along, but I'm still not deft enough to avoid bruising the stone. That's a problem with any alabaster, but especially in translucent material. A sharp blow to the stone will leave a white bruise that can go down a couple of millimeters. The clear stuff on this rock is hard and tough, but it seems to bruise easily. Proceed slowly and with caution. 

I'm just about ready to drill through the base. I set up the jig yesterday, and marked out where the first two holes are going to go. It's going to be an awkward set up, resting the rock on sheets of plywood, and 2x4's to get the drill bit lined up at the correct height. Then I'll have to strap it down on the table with the ratchet, then shoot the  drill, undo it all, and set it up again for the next hole.

But all this is on hold for a day.

My brothers are both coming to So Cal for a visit, one from New York City, and the other from Thailand, where he's been doing the ex-pat thing. My niece and nephew, and their mother, whom I seldom see will be here also.

It's an impromptu family reunion, unscheduled, and un-planned, but holding parties is what Mary and I do. It's sort of our thang, y'know? We got the fixings to do tacos, Mexican style. I do not get all stressed when I'm holding gatherings for our friends, but I'm stressing over this one. Truth to tell, I don't see eye-to-eye with either of my brothers on much of anything relating to religion, politics, and current events. I spend over three hours  every day reading up on the shit. Reading. No videos, no podcasts, no television. I have no patience for "the narrative", and I absolutely will not engage in discussion, or argument. My worldview, and opinions are hard set, and not up for re-consideration. I don't get into arguments either on-line, or in person. Nobody changes anybody's mind on any of this stuff. I purely hate talking about it.

And I'm worried about my cat. Wednesday, Buddy the Cat looked like he was favoring his right foreleg. Today, Friday, he's listless, complaining...

Anyway, I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning first thing. Another item on the agenda.

...and now, Saturday morning. Buddy the Cat seemed a little better this morning when I gave him his fish. We'll see how he's doing when the sun comes up. I'm dreading the day...

Sunday morning. The kitchen is still a mess.  Buddy the cat seems to be doing better. The Skinamalink is bugging me to go outside. I'm on my third cup of coffee. But we had a good day, yesterday. We had an unbelievably good day. Nobody got going on politics, and current events. But somehow, the day left me exhausted, and melancholy. If life was a book, the heavy part would now be in my left hand. Despite the warmth of the day, the gathering had the feeling of a chapter very late in the story. All things must pass, including all of us.

Anyhow, not much work got done on the project this week. Here are the latest pics.





 

 

 See the purple marks on the base? I'll be drilling this week. Tune in for the next exciting chapter!


1 comment:

  1. "If life was a book, the heavy part would now be in my left hand. Despite the warmth of the day, the gathering had the feeling of a chapter very late in the story." I come here for much more than the sculpting, which is, naturally, captivating.

    ReplyDelete