Monday, November 8, 2021

November

November 

Buddy the Cat

 

thu.11/3/21

November started off cold, gray, and quiet. It's been a trying, and very expensive week. Last Saturday's party was a lot of work, and it came to a long, slow, very late, and not very pleasant end. I love my weed, but I do not drink. Mary, and the gals love their wine, but whiskey hits a party like a wrecking ball. I saw two fifths vanish within the space of an hour, and the results weren't pretty. I hate to be a blue nose, but I'm seriously considering banning hard liquor from our gatherings. Sunday was a day to straighten up the mess, and then just flop. 

Last Monday started with the tax bill. I'll say this much, and change the topic. I'm about ready for French Revolution II. I'd love to see this "Government" shoved into tumbrils, and dragged whimpering and wailing to a date with Madame Guillotine.

OK, enough anger.

Like I said, first thing in the week was a tax bill, then the insurance bill, then Wednesday was a six-hundred dollar vet bill for the Skinamalink. Thursday morning, as always, I got up in the dark, and Buddy the Cat, and The Most Mysterious Skinamalink were waiting for me in the kitchen. I took the bowl of tuna fish from the refrigerator, spooned out a little for the cats, set the bowl aside, and started making the coffee.  Yes, the cats get their tuna before I get my coffee. Buddy the Cat is as loud as a firetruck, and the meeyowling drowns our even the coffee grinder. But in the time it took me to brew coffee, an ant swarm charged in from behind the switch plate and completely covered the bowl of fish. The whole kitchen counter was alive with the goddamn things. So before I got my coffee, I spent a fun session with a spray bottle of Windex squirting down the ants on the counter . We can add a visit from the exterminators to the financial damage.



Monday it was back to work on the stone. Even here in So Cal, the weather is now cold enough that I don't get to work until late in the morning, so progress is slow. I'm just about to the place where I have to drill in order to take care of all the excavation that needs done. Wednesday, John came over, and helped me  build a jig for my big power drill. I need to be able to shoot a series of long straight holes through  the wide base of the stone. It's easy enough to make the drill go in at exactly the right spot, but it's tricky as hell making it come out exactly at the right spot. Twenty years ago, I seemed to be able to hit the bullseye without any effort, but on my last few attempts, my aim wasn't all that good. I'll find out how well my invention works any day, now.


 





 

The carving is shaping up with an inner figure protruding from the hollow of an outer shell. But it's  going to be tough to do the shaping in the confines of the inner space. We shall see what progress this week brings.

But finishing up with the small doings around here, Yesterday, was the first Sunday of the month and that means the Cyclone Coaster antique and classic bike ride. I feel a little guilty, writing about this event without posting pictures. It's been a monthly tradition for over ten years, now, and we tend to take it for granted, and forget to bring cameras. I don't do the phone-cam thing. Sunday was the bi-annual swap meet that has been postponed for the last year because of the virus bullshit. Holy cow, I could easily have trashed my bank account at that event.

But bikes were not the main event for us, Sunday. The event was having our good friend, and club member Dave come out to ride again. Dave's had a brutal battle with cancer. Friends set him up with an electric assist three-wheeler. This was his first ride after a long tough struggle. Having him cruise with us again made the ride feel like a family reunion.

And so, November. It has been a little over six months since I got back to to work. Winter is just about here. Even in  So Cal that means a season of crappy weather, and slow production. Slow progress is still progress. I'll take whatever the day has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment