Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reflections on a Talking Robot (part four) Combinational Combat

Before I knew it, the machines had taken a second shelf, and were threatening a third. New acquisitions were greeted with mockery from friends, and dry comments from my girlfriend - “You don’t have enough toys already?” Well, no. There was still Combattler. This set was just too cool to be believed. It had five modules: two different fighter jets, a battle tank, a twin-hulled battle cruiser, and an armored transport.






They all clicked together to form a juggernaut battle tank.



And the battle tank transformed into a giant robot warrior.



It was fantastic, but way more expensive than I could afford- eighty one bucks and change, counting tax. Remember, this was the seventies. I don’t remember what my wages were, but I do recall that the rent on my apartment was a hundred and twenty five dollars. Eighty-some bucks for a toy robot? I went for it anyway. Friends rolled their eyes. My girlfriend shook her head. I was going to call it quits, except… The Bullmark sets weren’t selling well at Toys International.
JWM

7 comments:

  1. wv calls you "matise;"

    Anyway, I thought you might lie this (via Insty).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those guys are a riot, Julie.
    By the way, are the last two pictures appearing opening in a full size window when you click them? They aren't doing it on my computer.

    JWM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! Julie is fast! Beat me to it!

    Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just learned something! If you move a picture using drag and drop you lose the 'open in new window' thang.
    Lesson: leave the pics alone. Cut and paste the text!

    JWM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see we all came over here with the same link in mind!

    :o)

    wv: cryoffs: hmmm, could be the 2010 election cycle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Combattler. I can see the appeal in the name alone! :^)

    ReplyDelete