Featured Post

The Lost Era Film

  Schedule of showings below. Check back if you missed. This link will be updated as new shows are scheduled. The Lost Era is now a short fi...

Sunday, June 9, 2024

Back to the Rock

 Back to the Rock


It looks like July will  be eventful. I have three Lost Era shows at the Whittier Museum, and one pending in Fullerton. Later this month, Mary and I are planning an open house here around solstice. Maybe it'll turn into a big party. That has happened before, and it's fun when it does. But it's work, and lots of it, to throw a real party. 
As always, I'm in two minds about the whole thang. Of course, it is great fun to have a gathering. Mary and I are good at it, and we've earned a fair reputation for being good hosts. On the other hand, we are both feeling the years more and more. Get-to-do becomes have-to-do rather quickly. Our energy reserves are shallower than once they were. Everything seems like a bigger deal than it used to be. Welcome to post-middle-age.
We'll pull it off. Always have.
So, let's take a look at the rock. We left off here:


Unlike the last stone, this wasn't too heavy to lift, so the next step was  what I call take-down. I got out the angle grinder, and made a dusty mess out of the back yard.




The stone had a pretty clean bottom cut to begin with, but when I stood it up, it seemed a little bit off, leaning ever so slightly to one side.
I stuck a wedge under the base, and nudged it in until it looked right. It was off vertical by just around a half inch. (note precise measurement) It has to look "right" but this isn't machine shop. As long as the eye is pleased it passes QC. So here we are with a new bottom:


I started sketching out a plan, and even committed to it far enough that I scribed it into the rock face.



But I changed my mind. We were going to begin with a loop-the-loop at the base, and continue with an "S" curve, but...
No. I don't want to do another loop-the-loop right now. The "S" curve will stay. We'll see where it goes from here.



2 comments:

  1. I like that last photo, for the moment it looks like the curve of a cello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the process!

    ReplyDelete