Wednesday, April 17, 2024

On the Home Stretch

 On the Home Stretch


It has been a while. And I won't try to beg off by writing about how busy I am. Somehow I find plenty of time to sit around getting angry about stuff I see on the internet. Almost all of the stuff out there is pretty depressing. That's why I don't write about it here.

Here. Home. My daily life with Mary here at the Suburban Hermitage. Within this small sphere I have much to be grateful for. Got more blessings than fingers and toes to count them on. I've managed to get back to my old routine, and the days are taken up with working on the stone, riding the bike, and keeping up with the the small details of domestic life.

But it doesn't take much to interrupt the illusion of peace and serenity. An afternoon trip to the store can do the job just fine. The grocery stores are all within a couple of miles of the house, but day to day traffic on the surface streets is so bad that if I need to pick something up at the market, I spend more time waiting at stop lights than driving to the store. When I get there I'm horrified at how little my money is worth anymore.

A trip through the bookmarks? Do I have to say anything? Thousands of writers are out there writing away to remind us all that the world is in a bad way, and getting worse.  

So, as always, the challenge is to keep focused on those things that feed the spirit: My art, my cats, my wife, my friends. And those things are all close to home. Next week I'll have work going into the Santa Fe Springs Artfest. Being sick last summer cut into my productivity (among other things) so I have only  two smaller pieces to display. The week following, I'll be submitting work for the May show at La Habra.

There has been no progress on The Lost Era showings. I'll be talking to Luz, at La Habra Arts in the near future. We'll see what comes of it.

I'm getting close to finishing the big stone. The work will be challenging. As per always, I've created a bunch of tight little spaces that will be difficult to sand and polish. There is no easy way to work the inside of that bowl.  The narrow crevass in the spiral will be difficult, also.



So, it'll be nothing but sand, sand, sand, for the next few days. Should be fun.





 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see how it looks all polished! The shapes are gorgeous, it makes you want to touch and maybe try to look inside.

    Re. The World, indeed. We've stopped going to the sketchy grocery store near us, as its status recently went from "sketchy" to "hazardous." Couple of drive-by shootings means I have to go different places to shop. On the plus side, we are developing a greater appreciation for Aldi, where you can still get a pound of butter for about $3.50, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete