Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Raven in Wyoming

 Raven in Wyoming

 


 I was on the Hog, riding back to So Cal after a cross country trip that peaked with a week at the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. I rolled out of Cheyenne  early in the morning for the day-long trek westward along Interstate 80. I was headed for  Evanston near the Utah state line, where I knew of a very good restaurant, and a very cheap motel. It's as long and lonely a ride as you'll find anywhere.  You don't know how big the Earth is until you've driven across Wyoming.

 

Now this was back in 1993, so I had to look up the route to see if I could find just where I had my brief encounter with Raven. I did remember a long, u-turning on ramp that climbed pretty steeply up to the highway. A search on Google maps revealed only one such place along the length of the interstate, a census-named spot call Arlington, population 25. 

 

There was a couple of gas pumps, and a C-store in a pre-fab building. They had a bench outside, and not much else. I filled the tank, and bought a pack of Marlboros, and a coke. They had those giant Slim Jim sausage things in a box right by the register. I don't know why, but I bought one. I rolled the bike away from the pumps, and sat down for a break. Just as I opened the Slim Jim the big black bird  glided down and landed on the ground before me maybe ten feet away. I knew right away that this was not Crow, but Raven. I had never seen one so close.

The bird stood there, cocking his head, looking at me sideways with first one eye, and then the other.

Raven | Size & Facts | Britannica 

 

I said, "Hello."  The shaggy black bird took a few tentative sideways hops in my direction. I broke off a good sized piece of the sausage, and tossed it about halfway between me and the bird. Raven wanted that sausage. He took a few timid sideways hops, but quickly hopped back to a safer distance. The chunk of Slim Jim was just a little too close to me for the raven.

 I spoke softly, "C'mon. It's for you."

 Hop closer in, back away, hop closer in.... almost... but no. This went on for a few minutes. Raven wanted that sausage, but he was going to get only so close to this strange visitor, Man.

I finished my soda, saddled up, the bike, and lit the V-twin. The bike spit thunder, and the bird fluttered off. I made the U-turn and as I charged up the ramp, Raven swooped  across my path. He flew right at eye level, so close that I almost could have touched.  He had that Slim Jim in his beak, and a bright gleam in his black beady eye.


4 comments:

  1. That's funny, back in '93 my family and I were trekking around that part of the country in a beater of an RV. I don't recall seeing any ravens, but we had plenty of other adventures that summer. We could very well have crossed paths at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ravens are dang smart, and it's pretty cool that he swung by and showed you he appreciated your offering, JWM. I've not enjoyed a close in raven encounter, but I've fed the chickadees sunflower seeds from my hand at my trout camp, and a live mouse to a wild barred owl at my friend's house (actually have a pretty cool photo of that that Gerard put up once), and just a couple weeks ago I had a barred owl come check me out while I was having my morning coffee and cigar at daybreak. Appreciated your story alot.

    ReplyDelete